December 13, 2012

We need a little christmas....

Christmas season is one of my favorite times. There's nothing like walking into my parents house and seeing the direct line to their freshly cut specifically chosen real Christmas tree, complete this year with only bells and felt ornaments on the bottom so the babies can touch them.

Of course, during our trip to visit my parents this weekend/beginning of this week while the hubs traveled, much time was spent picking pine needles off her hands. That's the thing about real trees- they shed. I am not fast enough or observant enough to do that 24.7.

So we decided that for this year, while S is on the move for REAL with her crawling, standing, cruising, we needed a plan. We put up our 4 foot tree in our bay window- and instead of letting her pull it down (which I am 99.9% would have happened- this baby is STRONG), we just hold her up to it and sit with her to see the ornaments and the lights. Good solution. We also nixed most of the low laying decor this year for the hanging and top of shelving items.

Our house is just so warm at Christmas. Even with a faux tree, the yankee candle white christmas smell fills the house and it feels perfect. S is mesmerized by it all and that's really the best part.  Here's a look at what we threw together this year.


Outside I went with simple. Red ornament wreath, greens, and gold bows.




Oh yes, the burlap-ish ribbon is my fav this year. Gold and greens are our "general theme" but there are reds and other Christmasy things included. These wreathes were $3 at AC Moore. Sold.

Note to self: put on the lights before taking photos next year! Womp Womp....




Speaking of burlap and twine, and other such things... these are our presents this year. A spin off of a pinterest project I saw... but all the presents have different wrapping paper, tied with some string I had in my craft supplies, and a big initial tag. I sort of love them.  Sienna has unwrapped (tore pieces of paper and threw them in the air) any gift I leave on the ground, so these are all placed up high as well now.




In sticking with our theme, here is our card holder this year. I had some of these mini clothes pins in the craft box, so I put them to use. I actually found them in the same bag as the paper for the gift tags. I love them! Props to those first few Christmas cards- we got them in early December. This is actually totally full now and another one is going to be placed on the other side of the doorway.


This is S' handprint at 9 months old. I mean, come on... Don't you just melt? But here's my advice for these things- don't do it yourself. Don't let your husband do it by himself. It seems simple but is a joint effort. S kept digging her fingers into this, creating more of a "I am destroying the city of ornament town" look instead of a cute first Christmas handprint. Thanks to my fantastic girlfriends Jen & Beth- this was a shower gift, you two were so on top of it!

So there we have it, Christmas simplicity in the Walls house this year.
Can't wait to see Sienna's face light up Christmas morning when tearing up wrapping paper and playing with boxes is not only allowed but enouraged.

Merry Merry!
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...