April 9, 2014

Sienna + Stella

About two years ago, I wrote this post. We took the seven (turned into nine with a baby) drive to Boston to meet Stella. It blows my mind that we decided to trek that far with a six week old, but looking back, I am SO glad we did. Two days without sleep and with a fussing infant in the car was worth it. In fact, maybe this is just rose colored glasses, but I sort of remember Sienna being an angel on that trip.

I didn't know it, but keeping our girls close from day one would pay off. Some of their first words were each other's names. If you ask Sienna who is going to sleep in her room, she always says Stella (they have never had a same room sleep over but alas...) They literally light up when they see each other. They clap and squeal and chase each other around. Sienna's lovie is fondly known as BaBa (a lamb) while Stella's is Ooh (a monkey). When they find the other's lovie, they walk run to give it to the other one, saying "awww" as they go.

Sienna's getting a sister, and I know she will have the most loving, tumultuous at times, close knit relationship with her. But a cousin is different. You don't have to share parents or share attention. You just share your best moments. Your hilarious endless laughter. I am forever, forever grateful we made that trek when Stella was born. I will always cherish the baby and toddler moments these two girls had together. I smile when I think about our adventures. They are only two and already we've taken them to upstate NY together, Avalon, New Hampshire, a bazillion drives from Yardley-Wilmington-Bel Air, and up next is Disney. When they are together, the world feels right. It's silly and cliche, but it's true. While Stella walked early, Sienna was still tumbling over. When Sienna was drawing nice circles, Stella was throwing crayons. They are so different but they are like puzzle pieces that were meant to be together.

Sienna, treasure your cousin. She will have childhood memories of you that no one else will-- not even your new sister in these first few years. She will stand up for you and love you and know that even when your parents act crazy, it's for a good cause. 

To a friendship that as far as I can tell, was always meant to be. I love you girls.

Here's a timeline of my favorite photos of the BFFs.




















signaturemeghan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...