February 18, 2013

dear dad

Happy Birthday, Dad!

I don't take a minute of my time with you for granted (and I've learned lately that it's a very improtant thing- life goes so fast). I treasure the way you navigate your family, work life, community, and neighbors. You've taught me- and are still teaching me- how to be a good friend, a good spouse, a good parent.

I roll my eyes when you tell your jokes for the 352nd time in my life, but I also take comfort in the fact that predictability has always been our family's forte. My husband respects you, my daughter adores you. We all shake our heads and laugh with (okay sometimes at) you.

Without you in my life I know for sure I couldn't have climbed the mountains I have both literally and figuratively. You're a stand up and clap your hands and yell my name supporter when I need cheering, and a quiet phone call to say hi when I need a little push of encouragement. You've helped me along every step of the way- a one handed distant hold- the way we do now to help Sienna walk- just enough until I realized I could take off on my own...

You're the dad people dream of; the dad people write characters in movies about- the kind that filled my car up with gas in high school and tucked $20 in the center console just in case I ever ran out of money. The kind that left a note in my car or my bag saying good luck when I needed it- from high school to grad school to real life. The kind of dad that tells me time and time again that driving 3 or 5 or 7 hours over the Tappan Zee only makes you lucky because there are people you are traveling to see that you love. The kind of dad that always opened our home to my friends, to my family. The kind of dad that never let me cry too much or too long without insisting I laughed. You're the kind of dad that took my middle school self to see U2 on a school night and my 20 week pregnant self to see the Who because we both knew she would love music (and she does). You're the kind of dad that pushes for travel and exploring and learning, but reminds me home is home for a reason.

Quite simply, you're the best. When I think of you during my days (and I often do) I always picture the same face- it's you smiling that H U G E smile you do when you see Sienna. And then exclaiming, "I'm here!"

Here's to more years of fun, learning, traveling, and watching your face light up when you see Sienna.

xoxo
Meg

Grampy and Sienna on his birthday morning after bath time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...