April 14, 2011

The Interwebs Take Flight with me!

I started this blog last night... and then today... I got on my (southwest) plane and WIFI! Woohoo. But here is the thing, I am almost freaked out by the fact that 30,000 miles in the air (wait, is that really how high we fly?) I can be connected to facebook so I don't miss the random chick I'm not really even friends with from college's baby's first smile on the playground that is not their usual playground. Hey Alyssa, I don't mean you. You wrote me blog love mail, and you (and your adorable Ryan) have won my heart for that.

I digress. Here's my post from last night. Don't worry, I am watching over you from wayyy up in the sky.

Let's discuss my thoughts on flying. Because, well, I am still mixed on them myself. And tomorrow morning, I get on a flight to Texas for a conference. By myself. Every time I am preparing for a flight, I get butterflies the two days before. This is bizarre for a number of reasons, but most of all because I am not actually afraid to fly. I realize I could crash to my death at any minute that my chances of getting in a plane crash are minuscule and that I am way more likely to back my car into the garage door get in a fender bender a mile from home, but something in me gets all hyped up. Another reason this is somewhat bizarre is because I fly a lot. And alone alot. Last year, I flew almost every other weekend. The year before for residency interviews, I flew a whole lot. And to random places. Like Denver Colorado but in the middle of nowhere, and I also found myself sun-bathing at the pool of a Hilton in Miami when the temp read a mere 71 degrees. Most of all though, I LIKE flying. But none the less, every time, I am wishing someone could give me a shot and make me pass out until take off. See, that's the other thing. I don't mind once we are in the air... or landing... or getting off the plane.

I think the truth is, I hate the packing, the organizing, the waiting. I get nervous that if the traffic is bad I will miss my flight, but I pair that with the smallest margin of time (45 mins) at the airport to check in and get to my gate. Crazy I tell you. I can't make up my mind. I also think the other part I hate the most is the unknown of who might sit next to me. I did much better on my flight to Hawaii knowing J was the only person by my side. In my days of traveling, I have, no exaggeration, sat next to:
1. A very large smelly man whose shirt was soaked in sweat.
2. A chatty kathy who saw my wedding magazine (sigh i miss those days) and proceeded to ask me every detail of my wedding, including how many carats my engagement ring is, who was paying, and where I would get my shoes.
3. A drunk dude who puked 10 minutes into the flight.
4. In front of a small blonde child with curly hair who screamed bloody murder and kicked my seat.
5. A very attractive guy who was so perfect looking and put together that I was afraid to ask him if I could get up to pee because I might disturb his gelled hair and guccio shoes.

**Update: Today I am sitting next to a minor who proceeded to tell me her entire story of where she is going and why. But now she is quietly playing angry birds. So I'm safe.

I realize this is a total stream of consciousness and that you have probably all stopped reading by now. Hopefully my flight tomorrow will be smoooooth sailing. I will say I am really excited to get to San Antonio, see some of my old colleagues and good friends, and enjoy some sunshine - even if it's only a few hours after the conference ends each day.

Southwest, I also sort of love you for this in flight Wi-Fi. For only $5. Sure it would be better if it were free... but I think $5 is a pretty good deal. So next time you're ready to take off flying, remember a few things:
-If it's after 10 am you can indeed have a cocktail (my 8 am flight was a bit too early)
-I'm pro-make yourself pass out if your next door neighbor is weird-meds.
-If you fly SW, check in early. Get an A boarding pass.
-Maybe if you pray a lot the night before, you won't get seated next to a weirdo (worked for the most part today)
-Bring snacks if you are like me and turn into a monster when you're hungry. The peanuts/pretzels don't cut it.

I'm off to enjoy a mid-morning nap since the plane is lulling me to sleep. I committed a major sin and forgot my camera (I know, horrible blogger, right?!) so I won't be able to share the beauty of San Antonio, but I'll be back (maybe on my flight home) to update on my few days in the great big state of Texas.

Yeehaw!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...