April 23, 2011

Kitty Prozac and Pheromones?

I have heard of prozac use for irritability before, of course. But in cats? The vet says Dexter is a "very anxious" kitty and that he might need a few doses of prozac. He actually said in a very calm voice "your cat may benefit from fluoxetine". I replied, "you mean prozac?". Very nice vet, and very knowledgeable. But hello, prozac is so much more of a user friendly word. I digress. So it actually wouldn't be a few doses. It would be f.o.r.e.v.e.r. Umm how much does this kitty prozac cost? We are waiting for blood tests first to make sure that there isn't some other sort of illness going on. But if not, we were recommended to give the prozac a go. I imagine Dex looking like this:


And Feliway. Now, feliway is a cat pheromone that helps relaxation. Feliway comes in spray form, or in difusers that plug into the way. Fantastic, so instead of Glade Linen scents, I can have cat hormones pumping through my house. Just what I was hoping for. I can't help but imagine Dex as a human being, taking prozac for irritability, and hormones for infertility. Poor thing. This cartoon is spot on what I imagine Dex going through, even though I 100% know pheromones do not equal hormones and that does not equal infertility treatment. None the less....
Okay, also I realize I am crazy cat lady now. But once this traumatic stretch is over, I'll return to house renos, furnishings, travel, and love. Wait, I don't really post about love that much, but I will work on that. Maybe. Probably not.

My last concern is this: If I get thiiiiiis worked up over my cats, what sort of parent will I be?! I think I need to let J lead the traumatic times on that front. Here's to hoping that the cats have a UTI, a thyroid issues (yeah that's not nice, but meds would fix it pronto), or that if that fails, the prozac does the trick.

What is my life coming to?

2 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    I know this is a very old post, but out of boredom I was googling my boy Moo and saw his pic on your page. The funny thing is, Moo is one of the most laid back cats I've ever met...nothing fazes him, so I got a kick out of your post...He's 11 years old now and could be mistaken for a door stop most of the time ;-)

    I hope your Dexter is still with you and doing well, hopefully without the Prozac!

    ~Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. pinterest.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...