July 22, 2012

Beaba Baby Food!!

I put the Beaba baby food maker on my registry because.... it was cute. I figured making baby food would be healthier for little S and that I am all for anything healthy for her. I mean if I am going to attempt to breastfeed this whole first year, I want to give her other options that are also good for her. So while we had to purchase some organic pears and prunes last week to uh.... get things moving for her... I really wanted to make her real first foods!

I whipped out the Beaba [oh my goodness this is such a cute little machine!] and decided sweet potatoes would be my first attempt. Directions- easy peasy. Just cut up the sweet potato into pieces, pour water into Beaba, and turn to steam. I figured I could handle that part!

J brought home the biggest sweet potato I have ever seen. I think it weighed a pound. I peeled, cut in half, then diced the smaller half. HALF of a sweet potato. This is important when you see how much it makes!


I didn't even do a great job of cutting it up... but it apparently worked just fine!

So I put the sweet potato in, switched on over to steam, and it magically knows how long to cook it. This is good because I am always screwing up veggies, which are seemingly easy to cook!


 Ta Da! Woohoo. Oh I should add that halfway through the blending process I added about 1.5 ounces of breastmilk to make it a little sweeter for baby since she is used to that taste. Seems to work well for her so far with our attempted pears and prunes.

Then it was time to store. I was given a few beaba freezer storage containers, and while I've read some semi bad reviews about them on amazon (mostly because it's expensive but oh! I didn't purchase this myself so that doesn't apply!) it seemed to work fantastically for me!



Ok so the fun mama crafty side of my LOVES that we can DIY food. I know, I know. You don't need a baby food maker for this. Probably an awesome blender would do the trick. But the cheap saver side of the hubs [and myself since I know saving on food means more $$ for baby clothes purchases] is also super excited. I did the math.

The organic baby food costs anywhere from $1-$2 per container. Each container in theory gets about 2 servings (right now since S is little it gets us 3-4). So let's say, on average... about 50 cents per serving of baby food when we buy the containers. The gigantic sweet potato cost 50 cents total- and I only used half of it to make 7 servings! That's just over 4 cents per serving.  Woohoo. Savinng about 46 cents each time we feed her! Yes, I realize she won't eat this forever, but it's the little things.

Can't wait to see how she likes it tomorrow! Happy cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...