May 7, 2014

My mom.


Do I write a sappy mother's day post yearly? Maybe. I can't even recall.

But here's the thing. I know everyone says they have the best mom. And I know that families are all different. I guess, what I have come to realize as I get older, is that my mom is the best mom for me. Throughout my life, she's known what to do and when I need things. Sure, we've had our mother-daughter spats about things like if I need chargers for my wedding (I did not, the parents should have won that battle) or occasionally how we parent differently, but she's got this sense of knowing what I need sometimes before I know it myself.

Disney was amazing (more on that later), but we had one rough day when Sienna wouldn't nap. Jamie was sick. I was exhausted. I was having little contractions and dehydrated. I needed a break. My mom said "I'm outside the door, open it" and took S. Sienna napped on her bed peacefully after some major coaxing and walking by my mom. She knew I needed that hour of reprieve.

Before I was a mom, I didn't understand. I didn't understand that heartache and pain happens times two. I didn't understand that when your kiddo is happy you're happy and when your child is sad, you are devastated. As I start to really get it, my appreciation only grows. I have this deep respect for a woman who somehow handled all of my drama, my brother too, and was still an A+ teacher and wife in addition to a mom. As we prep for baby #2, I become more thankful for her each day. She says things like "Well I will be there to help" when I start to fret, before I ever even approach the subject. Without my mom, I'd be a shell of myself. That's not to say that I expect her to hold me up daily, but I don't need to expect it. She just does it. I really don't care if other people judge me for talking to my mom sometimes up to five times a day when I am in my 30s. It works for us. I send her silly texts with random thoughts about how Sienna needs new rain boots and she responds by saying she just bought her some because she thought so too! I call her when J is working late and Sienna is whining and I feel spent. She tells me Sienna is just fine, and talks to me about something else to take my mind off of it. She helps with laundry if it is piled high when she comes over, without ever asking if I need a hand. She makes Sienna not laugh- but cackle hysterically. She gives me a sense of calm when I really need it. 

I have a mom who makes life easier. A mom who made (still makes) every kid in Yardley feel comfortable sitting at her table and talking about life. Someone who sees my reality, most of the time, how I see it. I don't need to explain. She is the best grandmother and Sienna is truly better for having grammy in her life.

So on this mother's day week, celebrate the ways your mom makes you a better person. Celebrate her uniqueness and the lovely things she does. And if you're a mom, remind yourself that your own mom did all of it for you, and it is so worthwhile.

Love you mama!









signaturemeghan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...