June 15, 2011

Pinterest and The Inner Workings of Girl Brain

Today you will get the pleasure of a semi-guest blog post. Do you guys use Pinterest? You know, the newest rage. I am actually up to internetworld date for once and am on there. The other day I was browsing through and pinned a few "nursery" ideas. You have already seen my favorite on my blog. But we are not having a baby yet. So I think the public world thinks that 1) I am pregnant and lying or 2)I am CRAZY. I found out today I am not the only one. One of my good friends has a wedding category. She's not engaged. It's public. We had a brief discussion over this and how there should be private boards. She wrote this email to Pinterest. If this doesn't give you a look at the inner workings of every.single.girl. out there who has a boyfriend but is not yet engaged, I don't know what does. And no, it's not actually crazy or pathetic. It's hilariously normal. I've removed names for privacy, since Pinterest won't do that for us.

I asked her permission to post this too. This was her classic response:
"Hahaha of course!  I am so behind on your blog!  You know why?  Because all I read lately are wedding blogs."

Without further adieu, here is the perfection that is this letter to Pinterest.

Hello Pinterest,
 
I am very excited to be a new member of the Pinterest community.  You have created something the internet has been sorely missing (and that is a truly admirable accomplishment in itself!).  I think you have an excellent model, your tool is very easy to use, and I have no doubt Pinterest will join the ranks with the other great original and inventive internet successes.
 
I do have one suggestion, and based on your "Help" page, I am not the first person to ask this question: Why can't I make a Pinterest board private?  I completely understand and respect your mission of creating a sharing community.  However, not everyone wants to share everything.  For example, I am happy to share collections I have created about interior design or fashion or vacation spots.  But I do not want to share my "wedding" Pinterest board.  Maybe I don't want the whole world wide web to know I am a crazy girlfriend who plans our wedding before we are engaged.  Or maybe I don't want my friends and family to see the inspiring details before my wedding -- I want them to be surprised when they see it for themselves in person!  Instead, I just want to use Pinterest as the great tool that it is.  I want to organize and collect pictures for my own purpose, and I do not want to share my collection with the public.  I am sure there are other countless reasons for a user wanting to keep a board private.
 
Again, I realize private boards go against your concept of sharing.  Perhaps you could limit each account to one or two private boards.  Or, if you are worried about private boards decreasing the flow of photos available for repinning, you could still have the private photos pop up for public use, but they would only be identified as pinned to a "private board."  That way people could still repin, but would not be able to view the original user's board or collection.  Another great feature would be the ability to grant limited access to a pin board, i.e. only my mom could see my imaginary fake wedding board.  
 
I want to emphasize how great of an idea I think Pinterest is.  With or without private boards, I believe this will be a hit.  But I also believe the potential and possibilities with Pinterest are limitless, so why limit them?      
 
Thank you for your time!

Impressively on point but funny, right? If Pinterest doesn't reply to her with a laugh and a private wedding board just for my dear friend, I am going to quit. No I am not, I love my boards. But for real, why do we need the world to know JUST how crazy we really are?

Don't judge. You've all been there too.
xo,
crazy girl brains.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I googled "Private Profile on Pinterest" and found your blog! I'm too private for Facebook (but will post on strangers' blogs!), so thank you for shedding light on this as I contemplate joining the latest craze. Please let us know if your friend hears back from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog!! :) And don't worry, we all like to internet stalk a little bit ;) My friend did hear back from Pinterest, but it was booooring. Basically they told her they've heard this before and are working on it. Goodluck if you decide to join- it's quite fun :)

    xo
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. couldn't agree more about the need for private boards. I just signed up for pinterest as a way for fellow bridesmaids and I to collect ideas for the bridal shower and ideas for a special gift for the bride. the last thing I want is for the bride to see any of this before the shower! This seems like a great tool for collaborating but there MUST be a way to keep certain boards private.

    ReplyDelete
  4. found your blog when googling for a way to make boards private! guess there's no such luck :( so now I just save pins to evernote for my personal inspiration boards. sigh, is privacy dead?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can have private boards now using this enhanced Pin It button: http://www.mikelike.com/ml/pinterest_private_boards/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...