June 21, 2011

While we're on the parent train... let's talk about dads.

My dad, particularly. Since Sunday was Father's Day, I think it's only fair. I told you all about how great my mom is here. Now it is my dad's turn. While I wouldn't say my dad loves all of his workerbees the same (you know, the business world equivolent of teacher's students), but he has used lines from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Imagine your boss saying "I couldn't be more surprised if I woke up with my head stapled to the carpet" in the middle of an important business deal. That's my dad. But my dad married my mom, so while it is not always as outward, he's got the loving, make a big deal of little things,get excited for the people you love, truly caring side too.

He said the other day that I am the best of both of my parents. Best, dad? Not everyone enjoys our dry sense of humor and cheesy jokes. But ya know, you're like a mushroom. You're a FUNGI. Ha. And I wouldn't change it for a thing.

In addition to teaching me how to make corny jokes and quote classic movies (yes, national lampoons IS a classic), my dad taught me some things without knowing it. So while you are far from a "teacher" dad, you  still silently loudly and jokingly spread your happy presence through our house and passed on a few things to me yourself.  They aren't as straight-forward as the lessons as mom's. EXCEPT that one lesson is to use duct tape for everything. That has paid off. Even that time I hit that car in center city philly and had to tape my bumper on. No lie. Oh wait, one more, you should dance with your kids to classic rock on Saturday mornings and give them memories that are imprinted for a lifetime.

Dad has taught me (and I think my hubby) how to be a good husband and how to be a good parent. Skills we will treasure in the future. My dad taught me that you should decorate the house on your spouse's birthday, especially if they decorate for everyone else. He taught us to surprise the people you love. To bring home unexpected treats (mom, HOW ARE YOU STILL SURPRISED when dad walks in the door on Sunday evenings with Rita's? Even the dude at Rita's knows he is coming, and yet you act thrilled and shocked every week). My parents have a fairy tale marriage. And I hope we can take after them. And my dad has always always been the best parent. He answers the phone. He changes your tire when you don't want to wait for AAA on 95 at 10pm at night. He drives to Penn State when you're having a bad week to cheer you up. He makes a dumb joke when you're sad. He hugs you and never lets go before you do. He is there. He is always there. By phone. In person. By email and bbm now (big time technologist, right?!). He is my hero. I mean that truly. If J and I can even be half of the parent or spouse he is, we will be lucky.

 Oh you know what else makes my dad awesome? Grandma (his mom) recently broke her femur. My dad celebrated father's day with us, then jetted to CT for approximately 4 hours before jetting back home for work on Monday. He's a family man. And I am endlessly appreciative.

So thank you dad, for being the best daddy I could ever ask for. For teaching me to work hard, but that you can always get support from the people who love you. For loving me even when I am a huge pain in the ass (I mean, come on, we know it happens sometimes). For laughing with me. For reminding me there isn't a mountain I can't climb (Including Mt. Washington). I love love love you.

And I love these photos we took on Sunday before & during brunch for Father's Day.

Ahhh a 4-some family shot. We don't get many of these anymore! But I love some time with the family.
Hi Mom & Dad!

Likely laughing at a cheesy joke. Watch it dad, we're loading the gun here....


Sunday turned out to be an absolutely beautiful day... we are so lucky to have such great parents.

My uncle Kurt has taught me a thing or two as well. This is his favorite saying: You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, you can even pick your friends nose, but you can't pick your family.

That's fine by me, I think I got a good hand of cards. Happy Father's Day, Daddy!! xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...