January 31, 2012

DIY baby shower decor: diaper wreath!


I love that my sister in law has shared pregancy time with me and this coming weekend is her shower! So I took to pinterest and other interweb and found some projects I liked. I found a "diaper wreath" I decided on instead of the diaper cakes- they are cute but definitely always a staple. I wanted to switch it up a bit! I pinned that bad boy, and then realized I pinned something you can buy. It wasn't a crafty little tutorial. I was not down with that. They were way too expensive for my liking, and I wanted to make it i different colors.

I bought my supplies: a wreath base, ribbon, and a big wooden letter T (for their last name, baby doesn't have a first name just yet!). I had TONS of diapers from my showers, and decided I'd give them some size 2 since their baby will need them.

The wooden T needed a coat of paint. I got two little bottles because they were 2/$1. The other is white, just in case baby's room needs any quick fixes or cute painting jobs.

Yes, that is a chocolate cupcake wrapper in the background. Don't judge. I am pregnant and doing projects on a weeknight.

After I painted the T I let it sit to dry for awhile and just started to figure out my plan. I had 6 rolls of ribbon and this wreath thing....Oh and a whole box of diapers.



The ribbon was clearance at AC Moore, so I got all 6 rolls for about $8. Not bad considering I have an entire Ikea storage box labeled "ribbon and paper" that I like to keep for projects.

I really had no tutorial, but I had a picture. So I decided my approach would just be to wrap the diapers around the wreath (I left it wrapped in plastic as not to get hay pieces in the diapers), and then tie it with alternating colors of ribbon. The first one took a few minutes, but I was pleased when it came out like this:


Then I just cut pieces of ribbon to the right length (guestimated) and laid them out so I wouldn't have to stop every two seconds to cut more. After a few more, I was getting excited this might work!

Then I just flew through it.... it took a total of a half hour to get all of these tied on. Super fast and easy, and super cute. I even was able to do the little ribbon extra part in that time.
Good wreath modeling, J. Try to smile next time. This was before I finished the ribbon part, it was too sparse for my liking so I added some more.

There we go! MUCH better in my opinion. I then tied the T on with a light pink ribbon right into the larger ribbon group.

And then there was the final product. This time I had J model it again, but not against his own face (I love that face, but he feels sick tonight and is sleepy and there are not many smiles).



This second picture is a bit blurry, but the colors are more true to real life. I sort of love this thing andd think it would be cute as a "new baby" gift too for new parents coming home to their house - hang it on their front door!

I have one other cute project up my sleeve for this shower, so stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...