January 14, 2012

Kitchen Storage turns Baby Dresser!

We had this piece of furniture in our old kitchen. But our new kitchen has soooo much more space for storage in the cabinets and we didn't need it there anymore. But since it's solid wood and great quality, we put it away until we decided where it would go... And it hit me that it could be double-used as baby room furniture.

Here's the "before" but it's not really the best photo because it's after we already started to clear out our kitchen.

It was cute, and still is. But let's face it, it looked like a kitchen counter. The top half comes apart from the bottom half, so we took it apart and I realized we may not even need the top part for my current ideas for this....

However, it looked like a kitchen item, not a nursery item. Forgive the next set of pics, they are iphone. Camera battery was dead and well, I didn't charge it because I was sooo busy too lazy.

Step 1: Observe that this here above is still a piece of kitchen furniture. But the wood is pretty, so J gives the exnay on priming & painting that wooden surface.

Step 2: Buy a "remnant" piece of fabric from Joann's fabric for $6. I may have forgotten to measure be super great at eyeing size of fabric and got this dead on. A little bit, but perfect for what I wanted. I was trying to think how I'd attach it.

Step 3: Gather tools. These are legit all I used. A heavy duty staple gun, a hammer, and scissors to trim the extra fabric. I started at the back and wrapped the fabric around. Staple gun, staple gun, staple gun. . Then I just slowly made my way to the front, left side, then right side.

Step 4: Use lint roller on fabric, which for some reason had glitter on it. But look how much softer that light grey fabric makes it look. I thought this was just fantastic. I gave myself a pat o the back for the staple gun and scissor technique.

Step 5: Replace hardware with Anthro ceramic rose pulls. This took all of 2 minutes, just used a screwdriver to take the old ones off and these handy dandy anthro pulls actually let me just attach them and screw them on by hand. Simple. easy. I plan to use the bottom "wine" holders as baby shoe cubbies. She's got a lot already. A girl after my own heart.

Step 6: Decorate just for fun to see how it would look. I put the pottery barn kids silver bird book ends I love there holding up baby photo albums. Some light rose pink Ikea vases (49 cents each- go buy yourself some! I wish I got more!) and of couuuurse the "you are my very favorite person" framed sign that I keep moving around because I love it so much! This photo was taken in our guest room because the nursery is being painted, but I can't waiiiiit to put the whole room together!

**Bonus: I had extra ceramic pulls because I originally planned to use the top half too. So our changing table that came with run of the mill rather ugly white pulls got these too. J built that today. It had directions worse than Ikea. But it's cute! We just need baskets to put in it. But yay for matching ceramic pulls. Thanks, Anthro for contributing to baby room. I promise I'll return to shopping at your store when I no longer have a basketball sized stomach.


Such an easy project, and minus the shopping time to jet over to Anthropologie for these ceramic knobs and to Joann for fabric, this took me maybe 1.5 hours total. Oh, and the cost? $6 for the fabric, $8 for each ceramic pull. That puts us at a total of $22. For a perfectly cute & good dresser for the nursery.

And I did it all by myself. I'm pretty proud of this. Huge success!

3 comments:

  1. I'm completely 1000% impressed by this!! Looks fab and so pintresty DIY of you;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I DIYed quite a few things for this room. I'm excited to get the rest of it together! xo

      Delete
  2. I've recently started a site, the information you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work.
    Genuine Timing Chain Cover

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...