January 26, 2012

two years ago


Sometimes I can't believe it's been two years since my time in Ohio. Two years ago yesterday I lost one of my favorite patients of all time. A kid who had a smile and heart like gold, and who I admired for his strength and determination. A kid who lost his fight with ewing's sarcoma with pride.

He was 14, but he didn't act like the typical teenager. He was a patient who would ask me just to hang around for awhile after the scary talks about how radiation or chemo had failed. Who played music on his guitar to pass the hours of having fluid drained from his lungs. And what I'm most thankful for is that he taught me how to understand the beauty of being allowed into someone's last days- and taught me the fine balance between professional and personal.

It was a coincidence that I just happened to look at his facebook rememberance page today. I knew he passed away in the winter and just happened to browse, otherwise I wouldn't have remembered the specific day.

But I think I'll always remember the way I learned from a 14-year-old, and I think I'll always think about what a cool adult he would have been if he had more days to fill.

While my usual preaching is for donating to THON, today I also recommend the Sunbeam Foundation, a foundation specifically for Ewing's sarcoma that wraps the beauty of music into it all.

Thinking of you buddy, thanks for everything.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...