October 4, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAZEL!

Today, my our niece turned one.  And I guess in some worlds, one is no big deal. But in my world, little Hazey turning one means so many things. I know where I was sitting and what I was doing when Em, J's sister, called to tell me she was pregnant (on my couch in Columbus, attempting to collect wedding ideas while watching Bones on Netflix). I remember feeling overwhelmingly excited and happy- and immediately hoping for a little girl to spoil. Oh, and then the reality that Hazel was due.... less than a week before our wedding! The two realities smashed into each other and I think both Em and I realized we would be trying to figure out how to get her to our wedding and make sure that perfect little baby was happy.

Then, little Haze, before you were born, mama called me one night to tell me you had a hole in your heart. You kicked that hole's butt (haha butthole) and you were juuuuust fine. But you sure did give a scare. I think after that, I just wanted you to be here healthy and didn't care so much about your mama getting into a bridesmaid dress.

And then she ARRIVED. And Nino left a half tearful message saying she's HERE. Hazel James, named after J. And at 5:30 am doing my horrid commute last year, I got to talk to Nino and hear that she was perfect. And when I met Hazel, I fell in love. Head over heels in love. And that was the first time my heart started to yearn for a tiny infant of our own. Because she fit perfectly in my arms. And let's face it, I love babies.

And do you know what else happened?  Em was the strongest best mom in the entire world... put on a bridesmaid dress 11 days post birth, and looked better than half the people at the wedding. She's miraculous. It's no wonder Hazel is just as amazing. So we had a little pre-wedding present. And a pre- wedding love. And little Hazey was there on my wedding day getting ready just like one of the girls.  I told Emily I think EVERY bride should hold a baby on their wedding day to calm the nerves.

Hazel was a little trooper and even made it to the reception! Wedding day was already the happiest- adding Haze to the family was just icing on the cake (the cake icing itself was amazing). 

I also think Hazel made J more comfy with little ones, and she makes it easy. She's always so good. (Although, Hazel, if you are listening, stop crying when I am holding you now and your mom walks away,I don't love that thank you very much)



We love love love you Hazel! You've gone from a teeny weeny little blanket wrapped sleeping baby at our wedding to a blue-eyed cutie who is walking and babbling and making us laugh.

HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY LITTLE ONE!!! xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...