April 13, 2012

A good reminder

This morning, after I put Sienna down for her nap, I rushed to the kitchen, put the dishes away, took a shower, dried my hair, and paid a bill. I've learned to move quickly with chores because when she wakes up, she wants mama! And I was reading a few emails (she's still asleep, what a good little napper!) and blogs, I came across this poem. And it's so true. The little baby Sienna moments won't last forever. My days in her glider singing the same James Taylor songs my dad sang to me will fade away quickly. After all, I feel like it was yesterday I was living in Ohio, and it was almost three years ago I moved out there- so much has changed since then! So I took this to heart before I have a three year old Sienna here, and a few minutes ago I put down the dishes, and I whipped out Sienna's baby book, plopped myself down on my bed to write about her latest and greatest while I wait for my baby to wake up and want to be cuddled some more.

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Off to soak up some mommy-hood. XoXo

Baby Sienna sleeping on mama's lap after eating.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...