April 23, 2014

On having girls...

We found out about a month ago that we are having another girl. The joy of having a sister is one I only experienced through my long-time best friends, but never through blood. Never through growing up trying on each other's shoes and giggling when we should be sleeping. I hope that my girls will grow together, though I'm sure they will be different. I hope they cheer each other on in sports, and feed each other Ben & Jerry's after a break up. I hope they are fiercely protective of eachother, but also kindly competitive. In short, I'm really excited for Sienna to have a sister and vice versa. 

But, this thing happened. Since we found out we were having a girl, everyone feels it's okay to ask right away; are you having a third? You're still young, you can try for that boy. Two girls? I feel sorry for Jamie. Facebook (I deleted the comments, they are not funny to me), real life, people seem to have no idea that's sort of a harsh question/statement. It's like asking if we are sad we are getting this new child. When I found out I was having a girl the first time, I got cards. I got cute bows. This time? Nothing. Maybe this is just a product of baby #2? I don't expect gifts to roll out in front of me. But recognition of a new little girl coming into our lives would be nice. A HUGE thank you to my sweet friend Sarah and little Morgan for sending us a sisters book. The little gesture made a huge difference to me. It's nice to know that it can be a joy- and Sarah has a little sister herself so she for sure knows all the ups and downs of sisterhood. 

This morning, I saw this article posted on facebook. Of course having girls is somewhat different than having boys. There is that whole anatomy and hormones and puberty thing. But really, there is no reason having a girl limits the fun or the gross (S is currently obsessed with worms) that comes with having a boy. I love how succinctly he puts it- life is pretty wonderful.

And the same goes for my mama friends with all boys- it's just a gender. It doesn't define who they are. Hopefully, if we are all good kind parents, that will hopefully define them far more than what color newborn hat they get in the hospital.

So stop asking if we are having more kids just because we will have two girls;  for now we are grateful for a healthy looking babe who has a heart that's pumping well and good kidney function and a brain that looks fantastic. That's not sarcasm- it's true. Thankful for health, excited for what this new little one will bring to our lives. If she's anything as much as a spitfire as Sienna, we will have a highly entertaining next 18 years.  So here's to my two girls- I can't wait for you two to adventure through life together.

Sienna holding her worm friend. See, girls can like dirt and bugs too.


signaturemeghan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...