March 19, 2011

Kitchen Demo... and a whole lot of Sawz All use.

WARNING: This post is LONG. Totally understand if you ignore the writing and look at the pictures. But you may want to read the first paragraph so you don't think Jamie shops at Forever21 or something.

A digression before I even begin:  I would just like to say my husband is so handsome. Maybe even more attractive when being rough and tumble and tearing down walls and using sledgehammers. However, J has the UGLIEST jeans known to man that he does his house work in. So when viewing these pictures please do not judge his fashion choices. I mean, I do, but I am his wife so I am allowed. Also, they cost about $7 (no joke) which means I can buy a new pair of $198 True Religions without feeling guilty we are saving more money for house renovations, too. That being said, the ones he is wearing in day 2 of renovations, I call the "plastic" jeans. They look and feel plastic and they have ugly zippers on the butt pockets that look as cheap as Wet Seal pants circa 1999.

Okay, so let's move on from hot Jamie and his ugly jeans. We started demo in the kitchen. Well, J did yesterday before I got home from work. I walked in and instead of saying, "thank you amazing husband", I was all "OMG How am I going to immediately eat dinner?!?" I am starving after my two hour commutes on Fridays. After feeding me, J showed me his work. I was actually quite impressed. But, I sort of also thought our kitchen now looked like the people on those Hoarders shows... because everything.was.everywhere.  So let me just remind you what the kitchen looked like when we moved in.
Here she is. As 60s/70s as you can get.
Our first set of renovations included stripping (the devilest job ever) the cabinets and getting new hardware. We also painted the walls bright colors.

Here is our first cheapy update that we did awhile ago before the decision to totally renovate:
This picture is a very big sacrifice for me to post on the interwebs. But, I wanted you ll to see what our (still ugly) kitchen looked like post renovation #1. I look scary and that weird santa statue was a "trophy" that J and I won on Christmas for winning the sibling competition to solve a puzzle. J is smart. I am glad I married him.

Okay, here is what it looked like Friday night:
And unclear why the fridge is sitting in the middle of the room here.
See? Hoarders I tell you.
Today, we've made mmuuuuch more progress. And Jamie is loving using every power tool, heavy tool (sledgehammers), and other loud noise making tools he can find. It is very loud in here. I keep putting my fingers in my ears. I should invest in ear plugs. Anywho, here are some more photos.
No cabinets!! But, really I am sad because do you see? The microwave is gone behind me.. and the dishwasher is not going to run anymore. So my pretty glasses could not be washed well. Oh, J also had to turn off the water at some point. And the electricity. It was almost like living in a tent in the jungle. Exaggerate? Me? Never.
Oh yeah, our family room is a disaster too since we are storing everything in there. And I decided it was probably a good plan to cover our couches with sheets we can wash easily, since flakes of dust are getting legitimately EVERYWHERE today. 
Still messy, but not nearly as much of  disaster as before... except the dust that is everywhereee. Including on the camera lense, no matter how I try to avoid it. 
Ahhhh you can really see those plastic jeans here. But the sledgehammer is CLEARLY doing its job. Go J, Go!
This is a fantastic look for the kitchen, right? Well, at least we won't have to cook for a few weeks. Mmm take out and dinners out. I mean, I guess we could microwave bagel bites every night. Okay, also, I swear, I did help. But I am also the photographer. I am taking a half hour break now to write this post. I will go back and help again (against my wishes) for the evening.
My OCD messies are coming out here. This mess literally was making me shake. I had to clean it up, pronto. So we took all of that wood out to the trash...errr our backyard for now.
Oooo those $7 jeans. Nice j. Also ew, look at the fake stone flooring the people chose. This is so ugly, I cannot believe people in the 60s liked this stuff. I wonder if people will look at our kitchen one day thinking the same thing. I sure hope not. 
Ohh look! It's me! Doing Work! See, I told you I did. I love pulling nails out of the walls. Or any other little teeny detail jobs of the kitchen. What do I not like? The noise. I think I already said that. Okay, now just a few more pics. First I'd like to visit the old wallpaper we can now see peeking out.
I think it's fungi. And not like my good old dad, who says he is like mushrooms, a fun guy. This is straight up fungi. And ugllyyy city. Thank god that whole wall is being bashed out. And one more hilarious pic.
Why you ask, is this hilarious? Because that box on the floor blocking the hole that our cats could fall straight through the basement to, is a ProActiv box. Yep, when all the celebs told me I should get ProActiv, I did. Then, in my usual ADHD fashion, I forgot to keep using it. And boxes of it were everywhere. At my parents house. Oops. My mom asked me x45 to cancel it. I swear I did. But it kept coming, so maybe I didn't. Eventually, she did. But look mom!! This is some good use!! 

That is all for now. I can hear slamming and other noises upstairs that make me worry J is laying on the kitchen floor electricuted or that the refrigerator fell through the walls or something. I should go check on that. 

Next post I will show you the bazillion trillion boxes that Ikea cabinets come in. Charlotte and Pat Markey, if you are reading this, I blame you for telling me Ikea cabinet putting together was "easy" and that you did it yourself on your old house's kitchen. The boxes make me legit want to scream bad words and then cry. There.are.so.many. But that's for next time.

Stay tuned!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...