March 29, 2011

SALT AIR RE-OPENS!!

Mussels taste like fish.

Quail is not worth eating.

All false at Salt Air Kitchen in Rehoboth. The food is delectable, the atmosphere is incredibly refreshed, and at Salt Air, I eat mussels and quail. Lots of it. As some random girl wrote on a comment card in the bathroom, "Salt Air is the new Black". True Story, True Story.

Salt Air is certainly back!!! The renovations are unreal and the barn wood and the handmade furniture drew me in immediately. Nino, who knew you could cook and design spaces?  Apparently, a lot of the things I fell deeply and madly in love with and thought about leaving Jamie for came from the Georgetown, DE Re-Store, a store that is basically stocked full of cheap furniture and other pieces that are often used in Habitat for Humanity ventures.

Now, I've seen Salt Air from its opening days until now. The restaurant underwent a restoration well worth the wait. I have also eaten Nino's cooking from pre-Salt Air days, and I must say it just gets better and better. I seriously never thought I'd eat quail and enjoy it, but the apps on the menu on Sunday evening made me eat my own words (and thoughts).

Before I even get to the incredible food, let me talk about the renovations. Salt Air always boasted a great atmosphere. But, the ambiance that has emerged from this reno is to die for. When you walk in the door, it smells like a backyard BBQ at the beach. A little smoky from the wood-fired grill, and immediately appetizing. The barn wood is legitimately wood from an old barn. The decor is unbelievable. I am kicking myself for not taking a picture of the GORGEOUS cobalt blue french doors between two of the dining spaces. Also wish I got a few shots of the bar area as well, but oh well. Here's what we've got.
Salt Air from my table's view near the window. Love the old lockers next to the open kitchen.
Textiles are my favorite. Great pillows and curtains give the area an airy but warm feel.
Yep, we got there realllly early, like before they were actually open, so we had the place to ourselves, with the exception of one other cute couple behind us.

One of my favorite things about Nino and Salt Air is you can tell their hearts are poured into their restaurant, their menu, and the story of their food. They even have their own farm out on Route 9. Nino even converted from chef to pig veterinarian one time for one of the animals on the farm, but that's a story for another day. Farm to Table could not be more accurate. So, when we got our menus on Sunday, we also got a handwritten note from the crew. Sure, it was a bit illegible, but that's not the point. The point is, they put their souls into this place and it does not go unnoticed.
Our nice little hand-written sentiment. We all know hand written real paper goods bring me to my knees. L.O.V.E.
Mmmm. So many good choices. Check out the "Salt Air Farm" bolded options.

So, after perusing the new menu, I went back to my go-to fav when Nino is cooking... mussels. I once asked Nino if he could give me some muscles. He said J wouldn't appreciate that. Ha. So now I make sure to check my spelling when I request the little shell-covered treats. We just ate lunch a few hours before, so we decided to get some appetizers and a few cocktails to quench our appetites for Salt Air. 

The biggest problem with me trying to document our meals anywhere, anytime, is that J digs in before I can get to snapping. I like to take a picture of the whole shebang. J likes to eat the whole shebang. Details, Details. Anywho, I managed to capture a few shots. 
I think the reason that I can eat devour muscles at Salt Air is that it always has some form of bacon or sausage in it. Who wouldn't adore seafood mixed with spicy meat? I for one am a fan. Also this is a new mussel recipe. I told Nino (who gave me the stink eye) on the way out that my favs are still the ones in the more creamy-wine sauce, but these 100% still did the trick and I was completely satisfied. Look at that delicious butter. mmmmm.
J- here is your warning. If you completely inhale the food before I take a picture, you are getting weird photos of you posted on the blog. It's my blog, and my rules. This is what is left of the quail. It had some sort of amazing cherry sauce with cherries in it, onion, and again, probably some form of sausage. I can't see the menu to remember. Whatever it was, it was amaaaazing. A+. 

Our plan was a few apps, a drink, and to make our way out. Buuuut, after those two apps we wanted to try more. We went for two new options we hadn't tried before. The thing is, I am never disappointed with the new choices at Salt Air, so I am willing to be more adventurous than normal. I eat the most random foods here and know that I will not gag on it and be grossed out dislike it.

Here you have my simple new obsession. Date and chorizo pinchos. My mouth is watering just looking at them. The sweet and spicy was a perfect combination. Dates + Chorizo = Love Forever.

Smoky/sweet chicken wings and pickled spicy veggies. Best wings ever. Enough Said.
Oh wait, when am I ever able to reallllly just say enough said?
If you are going to eat a few carrots or peppers at once, have water ready.

All in all, it was another incredible meal at Salt Air. Thank you Nino, thank you extremely friendly wait staff, and thanks to the attractive tall girl who is the hostess. You guys better keep her around. (yep, that's right, we love Em Imily and we aren't afraid to say it).Yay Salt Air is back. And yay for summer being around the corner and many more dinners at our favorite place!

Pssss... If you find yourself in Rehoboth, stop by Salt Air. I 100% promise you that you will not be disappointed.
50 Wilmington Avenue
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
302 227 2444
info@saltairkitchen.com

xo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...