September 8, 2013

September Gardening.

Oh my goodness! Our garden, that only produced strawberries earlier this summer, is now flourishing with veggies. It's gorgeous and smells amazing and the abundance of tomatoes this house has is a little bit out of control.

I went out earlier today to scope it out with Sienna and one of her little friends (who kept plucking the tiny yellow cherry tomatoes and telling me mmmm as she popped them in her mouth one by one). The tomato vines are growing into our trees, our bushes, and way off the tomato cages/bamboo shoots we put out there for them. WAY OFF. We have so many tomatoes I'm begging neighbors to bring over a basket and go shopping {free shopping, that is}. The yellow cherry tomatoes are so delicious. Our neighbor just told us to slice them in half, olive oil them up, salt, pepper, garlic and then bake them in the oven and save in fridge for salads, sandwiches, salsas. Sounds like an amazing plan since we have so many!



And... and the jalepenos. There are two huge bushels of them. Anyone need some spice in their life? Come and get them... I'll even pick them for you.


Also? Eggplant! Mmm. The other day I plucked an eggplant for eggplant rollatini and it was melt in your mouth amazingly delicious. I split the recipe in half since I just used one big eggplant. Jamie requested seconds and thirds and we cleared the whole (small) pan in one sitting. We have about four outside right now. I picked one today and am thinking I'll repeat the recipe this week too using our own home grown tomatoes.

We always just collect them in a big Tupperware container. Even though we don't use pesticides on them, we see a plethora of lovely bug species living on and around our veggies so in an attempt not to devour some spiders with our fruits and vegetables, I try to soak all of them right in that container. Below are a couple pics of today's full harvest (just what we took from the ground, there is enough for a family of 50 out there still). Talk about farm to table, eh? All kidding aside, it does feel pretty darn good to produce our own food and eat healthy while we are also saving money. I only wish I could grow cheese!


Soak them in cold water, take them out and set to dry... and tonight we will dig in. I'm thinking two-tomato salsa and chips for an app. YUM. 

And seriously, if anyone needs some veggies in their life, give me a call - call us Walls Farms lately!

Be back hopefully later tonight with an update on our latest house project that started on a whim and now demands to be finished before the weekend is through.

XOXO

signaturemeghan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...