February 2, 2011

THON IS ALMOST HERE!!!

THON 2005 with Clay.  Who is Clay you ask? Read further.

Since I was an undergraduate at Penn State, THON has been the philanthropy that can bring me to tears, laughter, and all other sorts of emotions from minute to minute. As a Penn State college student, everyone assumes life is about sorority formals, frat parties, and of course, football weekends! And, it was. I wouldn't have traded that for the world. But, the most important lessons I learned in my four years came from THON: Put other people first. Work a little harder than you have to. You can indeed make a change in the world.

What is THON? Well, THON used to be a 48 hour no sitting, no sleeping dance marathon. They've kicked it down to 46 because it has gotten so big that they had to move it to the BJC from Rec Hall. THON raises money for children with cancer at Hershey Medical Center. THON provides the money that makes it possible for families to have free cancer treatments. After watching so many of the families I've worked with at other hospitals struggle financially after a cancer diagnosis, I realize what a magnificent gift this is. THON holds a college together. THON gets college kids out of bed at 7 am to stand outside with cans that say "Help Kids Fight Cancer" and stay outside until they reach their quota for the day. Are you in love with this cause yet? I am. So DONATE!!

THON has grown and grown over the years. Last year, Khloe Kardashian even tweeted and blogged about it got the word out. You can read about that here. I can't explain THON well enough, or how closely I still hold it to my heart. Or how thankful the parents are that PSU kids take their time to do this. Here, let's see if this can give you SOME idea:
Okay, I'm still not even convinced you get it. I'll post another video at the end. I love the promo videos every year. In college, I was in Alpha Chi Omega. We paired up with the brothers of Pi Kapp every year to fight for every penny we could for this cause.
Here are the AXO dancers the year I was THON chair, standing in front of our sign.
THON taught me so much. And it showed me the path to take in life. I knew that my life needed to be working with these kids. With kids who were sick,  kids who had to deal with chronic illness. Years later, doing a fellowship in pediatric psychology, I know I'm where I belong. So thank you, THON. Not only did you give me the best memories of my life, but you helped me realize what is right for me in life. I will try to help you now. So in case you haven't already clicked the first link, here's another to DONATE!

Let's talk a little bit about my THON kiddos. The cutest little buddy in that first picture, Clay, was just a tot when I was a THON chair for my organization. We sponsored Clay's family and Holly Gaston (Junkin!)'s family as well. Clay is now cancer-free and doing fantastic. He is 8 years old. Wow.

Holly, Holly, Holly, you amaze me continuously. In you, we didn't just have a "THON child", we found a friend. And years later, I think it is fair to say we all stand in awe of all you have become. Holly is officially "cured" from ALL. Woohoo!!! Since I left PSU, Holly somehow managed to grow up, go to college, do a semester abroad, get engaged, and get married. Here's to you, Holly. You are one tough cookie.
Holly + Ben on their wedding day! Holly, I totally stole this picture from your facebook page. I hope you don't mind :) 

THON was literal blood, sweat, and tears. But do you know what? It was worth it. During my year as THON chair, we made millions for the kids (FTK). Last year, they made over $7M.  Who knew college kids could be so motivated, with no other payoff than that we feel good. Well for the most part we feel good. Did I mention the 48 hours no sitting no sleeping part? That's nothing compared to chemo, radiation, more chemo, missing dances, missing school, losing hair. If 48 hours with no sleep is all we have to endure to help these kids, we can handle that. So, my days of being a PSU student at THON are (sadly) over. None the less, I love love love love love loooooove this cause. When I danced in THON, I broke out in total body hives. I went to the ER to get meds, and kept dancing. That's what we do for these kids.  And while I'm not a student, I can still help. We made donations to THON for our wedding instead of having favors. And, I think Joe Paterno said it best.... THIS is what we mean when we say.... WE ARE.... PENN STATE!!!

Here's the THON 2011 Promo Video. 



So, there's 15 days left.
DONATE!
FTK! xo

3 comments:

  1. I've know Holly since she was a little child!! She goes to our Church and is the sweetest young woman you will ever know!!!Thanks to the help from the "thon" she got to grow up and become the beautiful bride you see in the picture!! Her husband is equally as sweet.She never forgot what thon did for her and she pays it forward every year!!! Thanks for the excellent article!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg--- This is really a fantastic THON write up. Everyone should be so lucky as to read this and be able to experience it from your point of view. Holly and Clay and Nadine are something all of us will be touched and inspired by for the rest of our lives. I'll never forget my times with you as a chair and when you were a dancer (and when I took you to the ER)! Here's to another $7 million+ this year!

    Keep up the good blog work, I am loving it~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan,
    Being at THON the year you danced is one of our most beloved memories. We have already donated to THON this year, and of course, continue to donate every time we see a PSU student "canning". We are looking forward to the year Penn State students can celebrate a cure for pediatric cancer!
    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...