April 19, 2011

I really wanted a skylight...

This weekend, J's friend, Jeff, called to ask for a ride home from the car place. Little did he know he was in for hours of work creating a new ceiling in the kitchen. Sorry Jeff, I know you were not quite up for renovating a kitchen in your fancy pants shoes and bachelor party hungover self, but you were a trooper and now you make the blog. See how nice I am?

So in order to create a new ceiling, we had to tear down the old one.
Ugh, so many problems. The ceiling didn't cover the whole ceiling. Yep, that's an issue. The light is sooo ugly and it is just hanging on. So that got removed and we will get a new light fixture at some point, in addition to our recessed lighting that J has planned. Also the ceiling had cracks and patches and was just plain ugly.

My parents were here again (surprise surprise, they are the kitchen heros), and my dad, J, and Jeff did most of this work. My mom and I only lent a hand to help hold up the drywall to the ceiling. Okay, so my mom did. I am too short. I could not even come close to reaching. J had to climb into the crawl space and so he got to dress up in a fantastic costume for this task:

And this was the place he had to look forward to exploring...

Smashing down the ceiling from above was the only way to go...

Love this photo. J crawling through the crawl space destroying the ceiling...
See this is where my mind started to wander... I was thinking, wow those crossboards actually look awesome... and I loved the slanted ceiling above. I was begging J to just cut out the boards and put a skylight in the ceiling. But the biggest issue is that we really don't have the time for that. And it is a lot of effort. A whole lot. And we are running out of that, too. So... I suppose it will have to be covered, and be a normal looking ceiling. But now I know in our next house I want high ceilings in my kitchen with some sort of funky design. Such as these:


It's good to dream, right? And it is also good to see that kitchens eventually are completed. Sigh.

Moving on to our boring no love low ceiling normal height ceiling, we eventually did get it installed.
It took 4 people... plus 1 to take photos. Also, random side note, J has more orange clothes than anyone I know. Orange you glad you know that? Hahaha. Sometimes I crack myself up.
Leave it to Jeff to use the power tools... It is amazing how clean and white this room looks right now. But I really can't wait to get it completed. I'm starting to feel a little antsy about it being finished. Here are some shots post ceiling-ing work.
Okay so currently it sort of looks like a room people are sent to in a straight jacket. It is dying for the cabinets to be installed and the pretty tiling to go up.
We had to move all of the base cabinets out of the kitchen for now to do all of this work... but they are back in there now. We are going to work on building our cabinets the rest of this week and weekend I hope!

Here are some dreamy pendant lights I am perusing for the kitchen:

Really different looks, and I don't like the kitchen in the bottom pic at all, but I do love the rustic bronze oiled pendant they are hanging on.... Just some things to contemplate for now.

So excited we have a floor, walls, and a ceiling. All the basics. But, now I am ready for beyond the basics and a functional kitchen. One month countdown until our deadline... Yikes!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...