September 24, 2011

Eggs. Eggs. Eggs.

6 months ago you could barely get me to eat eggs. I would maybe have Eggs Benedict at brunch, and a good egg salad once in awhile. But really I didn't like them. Scrambled eggs for breakfast? Only if you piled on the cheese. Eggs and toast? Nope. And to that measure, we didn't keep eggs in our house. Ever. When I wanted to bake I had to run to the store to get eggs, or more often, egg beaters or something of the sort.

Well things are different now. There is a little baby who rules my life and my body. Little baby growing inside says eat, I say how much. Baby says eggs! I say okay. And without eggggsageration (I crack myself up), I could eat eggs every day. Now, for those of you who use Pinterest (my profile) you would see that my section of "Foodies" is taken up by eggs. Breakfast eggs, eggs on sandwiches, lunch eggs...  Eggs benedict with smoked salmon instead of ham is actually by and far my favorite, but preggy websites say no smoked salmon. Has the same stuff in it as lunch meat. Damn you, smoked meats. I adore you so much. Let me show you some of my favorite egg recipes I have found. I have not created any of them. Often I just whip up an omelet with avocado, tomato, and cheese. And this morning I attempted to make destroyed two poached eggs. Actually, I destroyed one. The other was not so sad face.  Anywho... here we go.


1. Egg Salad & Avocado Sammy: Yeah I know, egg salad and not a poached or breakfast egg. But let's face it, eggs and avocados are two of my favorite foods. If I just ditched the egg yolk I'd be in pretty good shape for eating healthy protein and healthy fat filled foods. But this has yolks. And mayo. A family reunion for an egg.


2. First of all, anyone who has a blog called cheese & chocolate wins my heart x10. Second, these are sound sooooo easy to make. Potatoes in oven to bake, slice off top & scoop out. Crack egg & put some bacon and cheese on top. Bake again. Ready to go. This would be a good holiday (Christmas) morning breakfast.


3. This is my favorite egg dish of all time. Probably because technically the hollandaise sauce is an extra kick of egg yolk- mmmm fatty cholesterol. I will eat this almost every time I go to brunch places. And since the meat is cooked it is one of the few "lunch meat" type things I can still have. Amazing. I am determined to make this myself one day, but i still haven't made that effort. Someone come over for brunch & give me reason to attempt this bad boy.


4. Also look super easy and delicious to make. They don't have the pull of the runny egg yolk, but the savory ham and cheese together looks amazing. Plus, I love to cook things like this and burn the cheese a little. Call me what you will, I think it makes it taste better.


5. Anyone who saw Spanglish and did not salivate at this sandwich is not human. Or just a vegetarian. Either way, French Laundry chef Thomas Keller created this especially for that movie. Hence, the "Spanglish Sandwich". I again have never made this. The poaching of the eggs/frying of the eggs with a perfectly half cooked half runny yolk evades me... I have such an issue with this. But I want this sandwich. At 9:00 am.

So, I think since eggs are my new BFF and I want to make all of these recipes (Okay I can also have just a plain poached egg with some salt and pepper to curb the unhealthy bacon that takes over most of these), I think I need something to help me out.
What is this you ask??? Why, it is an EGG POACHER. And on Amazon.com  I can get it for $15. I think I should give it a go. But we have so much random stuff in our kitchen we don't use, I will wait a week or two to see if the egg craving sticks. If so, egg poacher, you are mine. And I invite you all over for some Eggs Benedict (that J will likely end up cooking when I manage to still screw up the eggs even with a poacher).

And just to add some more cheese to these dishes and my humor, I hope that you share in 
these EGGELLENT recipes! YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm I love this post, because I also love eggs in most forms! Benedict? I am there if you guys are making it~

    P.S. the double pun of eggsageration and crack yourself up was fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. L White you are welcome whenever we figure out how to functionally make Benedict ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...