December 21, 2011

Disaster nanny applicants


If you were applying for a job, would you spell words incorrectly, leave out an addressing line (you know, no "hi" even), and copy and paste a letter from another job?  Apparently in the nanny industry, they missed the memo. Or at least the people applying to this job did!

When you write me a letter to apply for a nanny position, please do the following things.

1. Consider the things I am asking for. If you can't work the days I posted, don't ask me to change them. If you are 17 and still in high school, clearly a full day nanny job won't work. If you have never taken care of an infant, don't email me. Most importantly, your info is double checked. Refer to #5.

2. Write my name. Address me like I am a person. I state my name clearly in the job posting. Even a "Hi, Meghan" would suffice. But no, that's apparently too much to ask.

3. Spell check. There is this neat button on computers that says ABC with a check mark next to it. USE IT.

4. Don't copy and paste your letter applying to nanny for a 5 year old into the "cover letter" you write to me. I can see through you. Also, my 10 week old will not need to "learn computer skills" or "learn to paint". Not yet anyway.

5. Don't lie. Please please don't lie. Because if your cover letter and your online profile tell two different stories, I know one is not true. I do. So just don't do it. Be honest.

PS there are normal wonderful women applying who I do plan to interview. But I have to weed out the other 98% to get to them. And I promise if you are my actual nanny, I will not blog about you. Maybe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...