May 17, 2011

Finally it's happened to me....

Remember that song? I am so into music. I talked to my friend Laurie tonight. SHE is into songs. But not songs you hear on the radio. Songs you make up. Like "I'm cleaning my clooooset and I hate these jeans". Pretty classic. I stick to the ones that already have lyrics and then just slaughter them. Also related to this post title, my 3rd grade teacher used to use this tune for every spelling word... such as "finally it's happened to me, right in front of my face, FINALLY." But she would use any word. Like "suddenly" and "totally" and anything else. We used to crack up, and then get lemon jolly ranchers for doing well. Pleasant memories. Thanks Laur and Mrs. Johnston.

But, let's be realistic. What I am really FINALLY excited for isssss..... COUNTERTOPS!!!!  We have a place to put things. Like coffee pots, and toasters. and cereal containers. This was seriously down to the wire. They arrived Friday at 3pm (at the same time as the house cleaners- eek! the nice house cleaners worked on the rest of the house with some encouragement from J and then cleaned the kitchen, thankfully). Our party was less than 24 hours later. But I cannot explain how thrilled I was to have these.
There they are! There they are! Anyone who is a DIY-er knows how AMAZING it feels to see a project "sort of" finished. This was the only part of the entire kitchen we didn't DIY, and that was only because the installation was included in the cost and takes the professionals like 20 minutes. Next time though, after all the hassle, I'd rather do it on our own we will hire a much better company because I hated this one and I still never want to install countertops DIY style. Let's look at some more pictures, because that's what you're here for if we are going to be honest.

Ohhh you can also see our really ridiculously big white ceramic sink in this picture. In love. Times ten. My mom's good friend said to me on Saturday "you know what that sink is good for riiiight? giving baths to babies".

If you knew her, you'd say.... of course she did.

House in order first, my friends, house in order first. 
.
And here is what the kitchen looked like during the sink installation process. Crazy messy, but look! Do you see in the background? Spice rack! Knife Block! Cereal! Joy Joy Joy!

Oh hey, did I mention that our house is finally back in some working order? And I got a new faux flower vase from Target as a "this too shall pass" when freaking out about the kitchen progress present. It cost $12. I got it with a gift card. It was not a splurge, but it did the trick. Here's a random wall, that needs to be repainted in a blue-ish gray tone.
Oh and that W? AC Moore. $4. That little ditty rests between the fridge and the door outside. I guess it will have to move when we tear out the door and replace it with a sliding or french glass door. I love that part. The new door will let the flow from the deck to the kitchen seem so fluid.
The living room has also returned to its normal place and cleanliness level. The tides are changing, friends, and my house is a house instead of a hell hole construction zone. Oh, and because this post is already rambling and you've made it this far, let me also tell you this. No prozac for kitties yet, but they had face time with eachother without hissing for a whole 5 minutes today. It's like the Beatles are re-uniting. Pre John Lennon kicking the bucket. Such a beautiful thing when they get along. And Lennon left them an important message... all we are saying, is give peace a chance. Stupid animals. (I have to type quietly, Dex is laying next to me).

Oh, you haven't even seen this room yet... but while we are on the "my house is normal, hallelujah" tour, let's throw it on in there. This was the "man cave". HA. Man Cave was a short lived term used for this room, but it actually is fantastic. The blinds make it dark and cool down there, and the humongo TV really is sort of fun.
Last time I checked, Men Cave don't have Damask design royal blue and striped tan pillows, candles, ceramic green bowls, and nice leather ottomans that flip over to have trays. This couch is from J's old apartment in Philly. It was one of his first "real adult" purchases.  It's comfy. And has tons of room. I wish it was off-white, wouldn't that look dreamy? But let's be honest. Off-white in a room that we eat and drink in, and that will probably serve as a play room for our non-existent children would never work.

The kitchen has come a little further since then, and tomorrow I will update with a few pictures from the party. But, I am sooo relieved to have somewhere to put the healthy meals I've cooked since our kitchen is functional container of leftover cake on while I eat it from the tupperware with a plastic fork. What? Don't judge. Cake is delicious. And so are my our new cabinets!

1 comments:

  1. Kitchen looks AMAZING! I think you are destined to be Sabrina Soto/someone on HGTV, bu with a dedicated man-ssistant (J).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...