May 30, 2011

I'm moving into the guest room.

No, there are no marital disputes. J can come to the guest room too. I just finished the headboard project that I started months ago. And I LOVE IT. By started, I mean I got the idea probably at YHL and also I think Bower Power. They told me it was a "1-2 hour project". That is assuming you have all your supplies, and that you use canvas. Neither of those were true in my case. So a few months ago, with a coupon to JoAnn fabrics, I bought the fabric for my headboard. I think it was $24/yd or something like that... but I had 40% off. And I needed padding too. But that was also 40% off. I spent more than that in the store because I bought other things I loved. But I spent around $35-$40 on all of my supplies. Pretty good if you ask me, considering I'd been eying a few headboards online that ran nearly $400.

Those supplies got sidelined while the kitchen got finished. But with a long weekend, I decided to get this project done. We took a trip to home Depot and found some plywood that would be perfect. We had them cut it there, too, which does not cost extra. My plywood was $12. I also decided to splurge for some good sturdy hanging devices, which were about $20. The price of my project, as per usual, was increasing. Maybe. I found a bunch of HD gift cards before we left... and actually spent at total of $0 on this stuff. Here's my plywood, cut down to fit into the Jeep. On days like this, I miss J's old truck. Oh also sorry for the crap quality, these are cell phone pics.

Oh yeah, so we bought a new microwave too.... our old one looked really ugly in our brand new kitchen. That was a surprise purchase, but I was happy with it. Also, #1 giveaway you are DIY-er? You have a tape measure on your belt at the depot.

Sooo here's a big day!! I actually am IN PICTURES DOING SOMETHING! This was totally my project, and J let me lead the way (until we had to hang it up- then I heard "measure twice cut once" EIGHTY TIMES).


I had to clear our some space on the floor... and then I went to work. I just needed a staple gun and the supplies I already had. Surprise, surprise, we own TWO staple guns (which is one of MANY events that led to us cleaning out the garage and our tools yesterday- we buy things we already have).
This is what you look like if you try to use the wrong side of the staple gun. I'm lucky I didn't staple my hand.




Jamie  told me to "peek over it", so I did. Hence this cheesey photo. But I do have to say, this entire process of MAKING the board was super quick. Maybe a half hour. Just lay, flatten, staple. It's nice to have an extra pair of hands if you are using material that has stripes on it (note to self and others: use either plain fabric or something with a design that does not have to be exceptionally level). Oh, and while I said nonchalantly that we bought brackets to secure this before... we didn't buy them the FIRST trip to Home Depot. Nope, we went back a second time. Giveaway #2 that you are a DIY-er? Two separate employees at HD said "oh are you guys still here or did you come back? you're here as much as us!" But with another quick swipe of the gift card, and a few stakes for our tomato plants, we were back at it.



These brackets mounted both on the wall and on the board. But we were so busy trying to make the ones on the wall level I forgot to take pics. But these are cool because they come with levels inside the brackets... so you can just put the bracket up and it says "yes, you are level. proceeed". Juuust kidding, but it does have a little level of its own in the metal. Very helpful.

Here's the bed before:

Totally fine and useable, but also totally boring. I also bought new sheets for this bed awhile back on Overstock during a bedding sale. I've been saving them for this point until the headboard was complete. So I whipped them out... and I am obsessed. Here's our after:

Obsessed. I also did the hotel tuck of the sheets and comforted. And flipped those blue pillows over because as much as I love some design, that was just a bit much.

So I'm moving in. It is sooo cute in there. I love how the stripes and the hexagons don't match but accent each other. And I love the tray table on the left of the bed. It was J's grandmothers she used for glasses. We put flowers and always some clean white towels on it for when guests come to stay.

So overall, huge success of a project. And I'm seriously wanting to move into the guest room.

Total Cost of this Project:
Material & Stuffing: $40
PlyWood: ($12) but used HD gift card= 0.
Brackets: ($20) also HD gift card.
Sheets from Overstock: $30
 $70.

Wayyyy better than the $200 I would have spent minimally if I had shopped around for one. But also something that looks good and I'm proud we made. I love long weekends. Can we have them every week?? I'm off to nap in in the guest room enjoy the afternoon! Have a good rest of Memorial Day weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...